Our story so far

History of Maruia Hot Springs

Pre-European       Maori travellers and jade or greenstone traders visited the region

1864                    First discovered by Europeans (Henry Lewis)

1902                    Tourism department survey

1904                    Wooden bathing hut erected

1920                    Concrete bathing pool built

1930                    Tourism department tendered the facility and the application from the Morris’    
                           of Reefton was accepted

1932                    Construction of a 60 room Chateau but not completed due to a lack of funding

1938                    Lewis Pass road opened for travellers and freight

1957                    New Bath House constructed including a 12 x 6 m swimming pool

1968                    Main building destroyed by fire

1969                    New building constructed

1985                    Opening of Snowline Spa hotel

1991                    Ogino family from Japan purchased and started re-development as a Japanese
                           style hot spring including a new Bath House and private spas

1994                    10 new Mountain view accommodation units built

2015                    In December 2015 New Zealand and Australian partners purchased Maruia Hot
                           Springs with the aim of creating a ‘Pure New Zealand’ hot springs offering. They
                           plan to honour the history and accept the responsibility of custodianship of this
                           very special part of the world.

 

What would you like to book?

Bathing Rooms Accommodation Packages Dine & Bathe Packages Dining Packages

×